Main Forum

Re-organize the Subforums!

2 replies
Wangchuck StorywriterArchitectStaff
Intro
I recently suggested some ideas on discord about what I think would be some strengths to apply to the Rokucraft forums. This post is intended to serve as a more specific outline to what I believe would benefit the overall organization of Rokucraft's forums and also incite more organized roleplay in the server community.
-
First Things First
Currently, server news finds its home in discord. While discord is a wonderful tool for a gaming community to gather round and organize in, an active forum goes a long way in building a comprehensive community that includes people who also like to spend their time with more structured details through forum posts.

The Rokucraft Home page has most recently only posted news about Camp Rokucraft and the new scorpion snake pet in the shop. However, other things are going on that could also be updated there! The Halloween Event for starters (maybe it's on its way), the transition to fall crops, and the new newspaper! The Elemental Times newspaper is an excellent opportunity to be using the Rokucraft Home news! Where each issue is sold in game for 1 Yuan, I think it would also be great to see it appear in the news feed for folks to see what's going on in our server.
-
So, why strengthen the forums?
A good argument could be made that we have discord to organize all our server news and happenings. But it's evident that some RP events and happenings get lost in chat or some players may just be more comfortable with a forum setting over a gaming chat. Nevertheless, what is the point in having a server website if we won't use it to its strengths? Outsiders viewing our community can see that we are an active and welcoming hub, eager to welcome them into the fold of a dedicated and organized community.
-
Website Features
I know there's a lot in progress currently in all corners of Rokucraft. The staff is hard at work on new features, builds, and content for our server. However, before we can run, we must walk. Let's walk together and organize our foundation before expanding too rapidly in other areas.
Our website has many strengths and it's relatively easy to navigate. However, there are some drawbacks and some things that could be improved upon. You can't really see the "Timeline" in the corner, as the text blends with the background picture. The "Information" tab is great, but is perhaps redundant when tutorials are also listed on the forums, and it's a chore to figure out that the rules actually aren't outlined on the forums, but exist discreetly in the info tab. Perhaps a "RULES" tab would be wiser, as they are pretty important to the functioning of the server. Better yet, give the "Information" tab a drop down menu to list what's inside it (but still, consider giving the "RULES" its own home, please).
-
The Forum
Rokucraft General
Okay, so I both love and hate the forums. Some of the forums are great, but several are confusing, unused, or annoying. "Rokucraft General" is pretty devoid of major flaws. Perhaps add a "Voting" forum to it, though, to make voting accessible from the website. (Also, re-think the organization of the "Info and Tutorials" per my suggestions on the "Information" tab above).
-
Roleplay HQ
This might be my biggest forum concern. Roleplay HQ as three forums that seem a little confusing. I think part of the reason there isn't a whole lot of use of the RP forum is due to this confusion. "Character Introductions" is pretty clear, and I love having a specific forum to house everyone's character. Also, the new "Character Applications" forum is nice (but I don't quite get why it needs to be a folder containing only the character app subforum within it?). But "Character Permissions" HAS to be treated.
-
"Character Permissions" Concerns and Suggestions
Re-name and re-organize "Character Permissions". This forum houses RP rules, families, guilds/organizations, and RP notices. It's all a bit cluttered and the title is confusing. I think a server's forums is an excellent place to keep RP players organized and knowing what's what in the in-game world. So, can we please make this a little more RP-user friendly?
-
To better organize the RP forums, split up the existing "Character Permissions" forum into two or three forums. I will list my suggestions below, but I am only proposing this because I think it would do a world of good for an increase in the amount of organized roleplay that happens on Rokucraft.
-
Suggested "Character Permission" replacement forums:
1.) "Rules and Guidelines"
> To be honest, I feel as if ALL server rules and guidelines should be on the same page, server rules + RP rules. Refer back to my website suggestions - make the rules a more important tab, and include both the server and roleplay rules/guidelines.
)
2.) "Families and Organizations"
> Clearly: to contain all threads for RP families, guilds, and organizations. This would make it much easier for RP groups to maintain their group and for players to find and apply to RP groups.
)
3.) "General Roleplay" (which can just be a general folder, or it can contain organizational subforums)
> This is an excellent place to put active RP goings-on. It can be given subforums for events, nation RPs, trade, etc if you want, but it's not necessary. Namely, this "General Roleplay" forum would be distinguished by its use for actual and active roleplay going on in game. Player events, festivals, and weddings can be announced here. Wanted posters and guard recruitments. International meeting minutes, royal proclamations, war claims, etc. The most recent/active roleplay happening would be obvious as it would appear first on the list - so people know what's happened recently in-game while they've been gone (without having to scroll up through discord...)
-
Conclusion
So there ya have it folks! Wangchuck suggesting some more things for the staff to be responsible for :d I apologize, as I know the staff are hardworking and put a lot of effort into many details of Rokucraft. I just think that (if it's not already underway) a healthy reorganization of some website and forum features would do Rokucraft and our staff/player community a ton of good. And honestly, there aren't a plethora of individual threads on the forums I have suggested to reorganize. The "Character Permissions" forum only has 57 threads as I write this post. So, moving those around into their respective "Rules" "Familes/Orgs" and "Gen RP" would not be very time consuming. Please take this suggestion seriously - I may not be in charge of anything around here, and I may not have all the best ideas. But these are ideas worth considering and implementing. As always, I offer my full support and volunteerism to the Rokucraft staff in anything they require help with.

Thank you,
Wangchuck

Spoiler: Staff/Builder ForumShow
Posted Oct 24, 18 · OP
Kyo AvatarModeratorEngineerLead Archite
Senior Storywriter
Hello :) Thank you for the suggestions! I will be sure to pass this on. First though I would like to clear something up.

• "Character Applications" forum is nice (but I don't quite get why it needs to be a folder containing only the character app subforum within it?)
You are able to post the application outside of the folder which may seem empty, but it's not. It is a private application process. Some people may be shy about posting, so it is a safe area for them to post without feeling judge.

As for the builder forum I would be happy to discuss that with you privately. :)
Posted Oct 24, 18
Wangchuck StorywriterArchitectStaff
Thanks for clearing up the character app/separate folder thing! I wasn't aware of the private posting.

I appreciate you listening to so many of my suggestions, haha.
Posted Oct 24, 18 · OP
NoticeNotices